2018 is an extraordinary year of landmark historical events.
As a writer, curator and producer, history gives me so much inspiration and is something I have learned to appreciate that in telling Black and different stories I never gained growing up. I have selected some great landmark occasions that bring tragedy and triumph; celebration and commemoration together to celebrate great lives and important moments as a YEAR OF CHANGE. Our aim is to make a real difference through debates, radio programmes, talks, films, images, celebrations, events and actions. Join us and make a change in 2018! I have curated the following for a series of debates. talks, radio programmes, celebrations, films and much more.
I will make posts with more information about the event as the dates get closer, please watch this space!
YEAR OF CHANGE 2018 LIST OF EVENTS AND DATES
2018 is a historic year of celebration with the following events and provocations.
1. THE ASSASSINATION OF MAHATMA GANDHI 70th anniversary – 30TH January 1948 Peaceful pacifist and campaigner what lessons can we learn about activism and engaging others for a cause?
2. THE 100TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE WOMENS’ RIGHT TO VOTE – WOMENS SUFFRAGE – 6th February 1918
Various events all through the year celebrating gender equality and saluting the sisterhood.
3. FREDRICK DOUGLASS 200th birthday – 14th February 1818.
Former illiterate slave who self-taught himself to become a writer, activist, anti-abolitionist and powerful orator. He counselled Abraham Lincoln and visited Bristol on numerous occasions to plead for the end of slavery from his personal life experiences of witnessing its brutality.
4. THE DEATH OF DR MARTIN LUTHER KING 50th anniversary – 4th April 1968 born 15th January 1929
A look into the life and times of the great activist and what we can learn from his legacy and leadership.
5. HEADS OF COMMONWEALTH SUMMIT – 16th April 2018.
Fifty-two leaders of the Commonwealth across the Africa, the Caribbean, Asia, Australasia and the Americas will gather in London hosted by the Queen. What does the notion of a Commonwealth mean in 2018 for its citizens and how do those who have migrated to the UK from the former British colonies feel about Empire today?
6. WINDRUSH – 70th anniversary – 22nd June 1948.
The arrival of 492 migrants from Jamaica and the Caribbean that literally changed a nation. A chance to look back on their contribution to Britain and the world.
7. ST PAULS CARNIVAL – 50th anniversary – 7th July 2018.
The annual celebration of multi-cultural Bristol and Britain returns to the streets in July.
8. NELSON MANDELA – 100th birthday – 18th July 1918
One of the great historical figures of modern times would have been 100 in 2018. What lessons about the notion of freedom through the ages of history can we learn today?
9. THE BLACK POWER SALUTE- 50th anniversary 16th October 1968 50th Anniversary of Tommie Smith and John Carlos gloved black fist salute at the Mexico Olympic Games that still carries great significance from rap music to the Black Lives Matter movement.
10. UJIMA RADIO 10th ANNIVERSARY – July 2018 and throughout the year of change Celebrating ten years of broadcasting as a social action, community media and arts organisation